Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year are currently open and will remain open until March 10, 2017.
Please refer to and follow these steps to submit your Arnold Education Grant application accurately and completely.
PART I – ELIGIBILITY – 10 MARCH 2017 DEADLINE
1. Student registers as a user on the Air Force Aid Society’s Education Grant Portal.
2. Student and sponsoring member/other parent complete Part I of the online application for the Gen. Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program.
3. ALL applicants must submit front and back copies of the student’s military ID card [AFI 36-3026(I), Chapter 1, Table 126.96.36.199. permits cardholder to photocopy IDs to “administer military-related benefits to eligible beneficiaries”], and sponsoring member’s qualifying documentation as follows:
- Active Duty – attach copy of assignment orders to present duty station. Title 10 AGR/Reserve attach copy of extended active duty orders showing active status through December 1, 2017. (All Active Duty members sponsoring spouses for grants must be on active duty status through December 1, 2017).
- Title 32 AGR – attach orders/contracts showing performance of full-time active duty through December 1, 2017. (AF Form 526 AGR/USAFR Point Credit Summary accepted with active duty status through December 2017.)
- Retired – attach copy of military retirement orders. (DD Form 214 Statement of Service accepted with reason for separation listed as retirement.) Retired AGR/Reserve attach retirement orders (DD Form 214); notice of eligibility for retired pay at age 60 showing assignment to Retired Reserve Section and placement on USAF Reserve Retired list; or retired pay order showing retired with pay on 60th birthday or later.
- Deceased – attach a copy of AF Form 1613 Statement of Service form; or State Death Certificate with copy of most current military orders.
4. Submit the application and attached documentation to Air Force Aid Society’s Education Assistance Department.
ONLY CORRECTLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WITH ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS THAT ARE RECEIVED BY 11:59 P.M. EST ON MARCH 10, 2017 WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR A GRANT AWARD.
5. AFAS receives application and reviews for applicant’s eligibility and Air Force member’s status. All applicants will be notified of their eligibility within 2 weeks of submitting the Part I online application to AFAS HQ.
PART II – TRANSCRIPT & STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR) – JANUARY 2017 TO 30 APRIL 2017 DEADLINE
6. Students whose Part I applications are incomplete or need correction will be contacted by email. Students whose eligibility has been verified will be emailed a link to access Part II of the online application, which includes reporting of: 1) Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR); and 2) most recent cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) on 4.0 scale. Applicants must submit copies of their SAR and most current transcript (unofficial) to verify data entered. NOTE: Students who are home schooled are required to provide standardized test results (SAT, ACT, GED) or State-issued documentation of high school completion as proof of meeting 2.0 GPA requirement.
PART II APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED AND RECEIVED BY 11:59 P.M. EST ON APRIL 30, 2017.
7. Once your SAR and GPA documents have been received, your application will be processed and evaluated for grant selection.
8. If the applicant is selected for a grant, an award notice, identifying the school selection upon which eligibility was based, will be emailed to the student in June 2017. CHANGING SCHOOLS CAN AFFECT ELIGIBILITY. Re-scoring of eligibility is automatic when notice of school change is received. Applicants not selected will also be notified in June 2017.
9. All grant award checks will be made payable to the school, and will be sent in two increments directly to the school’s financial aid office. First increment will be disbursed in early August, and the second in early December of 2017. Use of funds is limited to tuition, books, fees, and other curriculum-required materials. Room and board are not allowable expenses. Grant awards for 2017-2018 are valid through July 1, 2018. However, funds may only be used for the academic year for which they were disbursed. Any check not cashed by July 1, 2018 will be canceled and funds will not be reissued.
NOTE: The AFAS Grant Program application deadlines for the 2017-2018 academic year are March 10, 2017 for Part I of the online application, and April 30, 2017 for Part II (SAR and GPA verification). All forms and required documents should be submitted in time to meet deadlines. Only applicants whose grant application materials (online applications and supporting documents) have been received by the stated deadlines will be considered for a grant. There will be no extensions to the grant program deadlines!