- Student registers as a user on the Air Force Aid Society’s Education Grant Portal.
- Student and sponsoring member/legal guardian complete the Phase I online application for the Gen. Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program.
- ALL applicants must submit front and back copies of the student’s military ID card [AFI 36-3026(I), Chapter 1, Table 188.8.131.52. permits cardholder to photocopy IDs to “administer military-related benefits to eligible beneficiaries”], and sponsoring member's qualifying documentation as follows:
- Active Duty - attach copy of assignment orders to present duty station. Title 10 AGR/Reserve attach copy of extended active duty orders showing active status through December 1, 2016. (All Active Duty members sponsoring spouses for grants must be on active duty status through December 1, 2016).
- Title 32 AGR - attach orders/contracts showing performance of full-time active duty through December 1, 2016. (AF Form 526 AGR/USAFR Point Credit Summary accepted with active duty status through December 2016.)
- Retired - attach copy of military retirement orders. (DD Form 214 Statement of Service accepted with reason for separation listed as retirement.) Retired AGR/Reserve attach retirement orders (DD Form 214); notice of eligibility for retired pay at age 60; or retired pay order showing retired with pay on 60th birthday or later.
- Deceased - attach a copy of AF Form 1613 Statement of Service form; or State Death Certificate with copy of most current military orders.
- Submit the application and attached documentation to Air Force Aid Society's Education Assistance Department.
ONLY CORRECTLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WITH ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS THAT ARE RECEIVED BY MARCH 18, 2016 WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR A GRANT AWARD.
- AFAS receives application, verifies applicant's eligibility and Air Force member's status, and forwards correctly completed forms to Scholarship Management Services (SMS) for processing. Students whose forms need correction will be contacted. All applicants will be notified of their eligibility within 2 weeks of submitting the online application to AFAS HQ.
- SMS will email to the student a User ID and password to access their website for the Phase II online application, which includes reporting of: 1) Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR); and 2) most recent cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). Applicants must submit copies of their SAR and most current transcript (unofficial) to verify data entered. PHASE II APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS MUST BE COMPLETED AND RECEIVED BY SMS NO LATER THAN APRIL 29, 2016.
NOTE: Students who are home schooled are required to provide standardized test results (SAT, ACT, GED) or State-issued documentation of high school completion as proof of meeting 2.0 GPA requirement.
- Once SMS acquires your SAR and GPA verification, your application will be processed and evaluated for grant selection.
- If the applicant is selected for a grant, an award notice, identifying the school selection upon which eligibility was based, will be sent to the student in June 2016. CHANGING SCHOOLS CAN AFFECT ELIGIBILITY. Re-scoring of eligibility is automatic when notice of school change is received. Applicants not selected will also be notified in June 2016.
- All grant award checks will be made payable to the school, and will be sent in two increments directly to the school's financial aid office. First increment will be disbursed in early August, and the second in early December of 2016. Use of funds is limited to tuition, books, fees, and other curriculum-required materials. Room and board are not allowable expenses. Grant awards for 2016-2017 are valid through July 1, 2017. However, funds may only be used for the academic year for which they were disbursed. Any check not cashed by July 1, 2017 will be canceled and funds will not be reissued.
NOTE: The AFAS Grant Program application deadlines for the 2016-2017 academic year are March 18, 2016 for the Phase I AFAS online application, and April 29, 2016 for the Phase II SMS online application (SAR and GPA verification). All forms and required documents should be submitted in time to meet deadlines.
Only applicants whose grant application materials (online applications and supporting documents) have been received by AFAS/SMS by the stated deadlines will be considered for a grant. There will be no extensions to the grant program deadlines!
For questions regarding the Phase I AFAS online application or processing procedures call the Air Force Aid Society’s Education Assistance Department at (703) 972-2647.
For questions regarding the Phase II SMS online application (SAR and GPA verification) call Scholarship Management Services at 1(800) 205-6372, or email email@example.com. Overseas applicants may contact SMS at (507) 931-8372.